Wednesday 11 December 2013

Chocolate Oreo Cream Cake

Whenever I bake, I always think for a very very long time what I would like to bake. I'm a hopeless perfectionist, I always wish to make something amazingly delicious, yet aesthetically pleasing at the same time. 9 times out of 10, it never is, and most of the time it's very unaesthetically pleasing and dry ... hehe ... Finally, I came across a chocolate cake, sandwiched with Oreo buttercream, THE perfect idea for our flat Christmas party. Then came the mass research for the perfect recipe. I didn't find the perfect one, but when does baking become perfect, it's all trial and error :) Anyway, I found a good chocolate cake recipe, and a good Oreo buttercream recipe, and got straight on it after my essay deadlines. 

Having spent all morning on it, and after one failed baking attempt, I changed my recipe and finally made the cake! WOOHOOOO! The cake turned out really bad, as in it just crumbled round the sides and wouldn't come out the tin :( BUT I didn't give up, and saved the cake through some cementing of chocolate buttercream on top xD So here it is :D I hope you enjoy it, I think everyone in the flat did :D If my flat have faith in me making the Christmas flat dessert, I don't see why you can't make it for your family Christmas dinner :D!!

Chocolate Cake
I used Linda Lomelino's recipe again (click on the link to access it ^^), only this time I took out the confetti sprinkles, and replaced it with chocolate cocoa powder :) To be exact, I used Cadbury's Bournville Cocoa Powder, around 3 - 4 tablespoons is the perfect amount to make it nice and chocolatey, and makes the whole flat full of fragrant chocolate ^^ om nom nommm :P

Oreo Buttercream
Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter (125 g)
Cream Cheese (226 g)
Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon)
Icing Sugar (2 1/2 - 3 measuring cups)
Cravendale Whole Milk (3 tablespoons)
Oreo Cookies (2 packets)

Mixing Time :)
1) Cream the butter - Which basically means breaking up the butter and stirring it until it becomes paste like.
2) Add the vanilla extract and combine well.
3) Add the icing sugar one cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. 
4) Once all the sugar has been mixed thoroughly, begin to add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, combining well after each addition. Mix until you reach your desired consistency, which for me was stiff enough to be piped if needed, but soft enough to spread on the cakes. 
5) Lastly, put all the Oreos into a sealable bag, seal the bag, but make sure there isn't any air inside, otherwise, when you go to crush the Oreos, the bag will just pop. Take a rolling pin, and lightly, yet firmly crush the Oreos. I didn't crush them until fine crumbs, I crushed them into quite big pieces, just so you can still taste them when eating the cake :)
6) Fold the crushed oreos into the buttercream and frost your cake. 

Chocolate Frosting 
Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter (125g)
Cadbury's Bournville Cocoa Powder (2 tablespoons)
Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon)
Icing Sugar (2 1/2 - 3 measuring cups)
Cravendale Whole Milk (4 - 6 tablespoons)
Salt (a pinch)

Mixing Time :)
1) Place all the ingredients, apart from the milk, into a mixing bowl, and beating it until it is smooth. Add the milk until it achieves a spreadable consistency. 

I made another batch of cake for my friend to help him with fundraising for 4 Deserts 4 Children. He and his friend, shall be running a series of week long 250km marathons in 4 deserts across the globe, to help children and families with life threatening conditions, as well as providing aid for Japan, having suffered many devastating earthquakes and tsunamis. It's an amazing cause, so I was completely happy to help. I made two kinds of cake, this is the first, I cut it into little hearts, although it doesn't look like it, sandwiched with a little Oreo buttercream :)







I personally think they're quite ugly looking, but that's just how I think xD Anyway, happy eating, and WOOOHOOOO Christmas is in two weeks ^^! Wheeeeeee :)

Stay safe & keep smiling, 
  |\ /|
=(^Y^)= 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comments / questions. I would love to hear any feedback and anything you have tried ✿◕ ‿ ◕ ~ ☼

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig